Information and photos of my mountaineering trips in Scotland,England and Wales:
Including hillwalking,scrambling and easy rock climbing.Also via ferrata, skiing and alpine trips in Europe.

Like this blog!

Thursday 11 August 2011

Allinhorn, 11th August 2011

With Lorna still stuck in hospital in Visp I was starting to get a bit stir crazy up in Saas (not as much as Lorna obviously) so I had an idea to walk up to the col between the Feekopf and Allinhorn, from the Mittelallalin. I wasn't sure if solo-ing was a good idea just now, mentally, although I felt fine yesterday on the straighforward walk to the Brittania Hut.   
The Mittleallalin was busy as usual with ski-ers, boarders and folks heading for the peaks. I spent some time faffing and watching what different teams were doing and it seemed almost all were roping up. After some deliberation I set off for the col up the normal "tourist" route, past the ski lifts and up close to the seracs of the Allinhorn. 
I kept saying to myself that I would turn round if I felt uncomfortable or it turns out I am the only solo climber on the mountain! It's funny how you watch other folks thinking they must be experienced in all this, and they turn out to be more hesitant than yourself!
As I walked on further up the well worn and safe trench, I noticed one other lone soul plodding his way up. Rightly or wrongly I followed all the time wityh a view to stopping at the col and then going back down after some happy snaps! 

Looking back down to the Mittleallalin and the ski area.

On the way I passed through the remains of avalanche debris from what looked like a collapsed serac. Unlike other people I thought the done thing would be to move quickly through such ground, then take the photos; not stand in the middle of it and snap away?      

Hard to tell from the photo, but these blocks of ice amongst the debris were the size of a small car! 
Looking back down at the trail of avalanche debris from above, of course! 
It came to my notice that as slow as I was going, no-one had passed me! I also saw a team of seven including the guide on a rope; I may be wrong but that seems a lot!?
Approaching the col near the Feekopf where I decided on closer inspection not to solo it as everyone was roped and our experience of recent rockfall put me off the idea. Later I would spot the rescue helicopter landing by a group of climbers on the snow just above the rock band. Hopefully nothing serious.  
At the col I got talking to the lone climber I saw earlier, joking I would take his photo for him on the summit if I saw him.
The summit ridge is not too narrow, with just enough room for people to pass as long you don't trip over ropes and crampons and they're not Italian. Falling off shouldn't be an issue but a slide here would still spoil your day! especially if you have to avoid any Italians!  
As it turned out, I met the lone walker who introduced himself as Manfred, so we took some happy snaps by the summit cross and had a chat whilst I enjoyed a squashed jam roll and Manfred enjoyed his mini bottle of wine!    
Shockingly posey photo kindly taken by Manfred, once I'd skillfully negotiated my way past the group of Italians leaving the cross for the wider part of the summit.
There were even dogs up there! Plus some teams, probably families with young-ish kids, around ten - twelve years old. I saw one guy with a small child of about five, six maybe, near the col. 
Looking across to theStrahlhorn and Rimpfischhorn from the summit of the Allinhorn.
A different view of Eginner with it's ridge leading away to the Mittaghorn in the distance.
My good companion for the day, Manfred posing in the sun!
Manfred heading back down to the col by the Feekopf. We enjoyed a leisurely walk back to the Mittleallalin where we enjoyed a couple of celebratory beers before bidding farewell. If Manfred is ever in Scotland it would be good to show him some of the mountains we have to offer.

1 comment:

Sam Brigg said...

Wheres the new update??? ;-)
I was just thinking, you've linked this page to your twitter...can't you link it to Facebook? Im sure my friend got the FB 'like' button linked to his actual website...or make a Facebook group that links back here?? Maybe get you a few more hits on the page? Still interested in getting Billy to show us how to do the websites :-)